1. A Joker can NEVER be used in a pair or singleton. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!
-"2017" sets are considered to be a group of (4) single tiles, therefore a Joker may NOT be used in this set.
-In the SINGLES & PAIRS category, JOKERS ARE NOT ALLOWED, since all sets are made of pairs and singletons.
2. Jokers may be discarded, but then they are "dead" and cannot be called.
3. You may redeem a Joker from an exposure on any rack, including your own, but only on your turn, and only AFTER you have drawn a tile from the wall.
1. A discarded tile is dead as soon the next player RACKS the newly drawn tile.
2. One cannot call a discarded tile to complete a pair or singleton, EXCEPT for Mah Jongg.
3. If one is playing a CLOSED hand (designated by a "C" before the point value), she may not claim or "call" a discarded tile.
American Mah Jongg follows strict rules based on the use of Jokers and the discarding of tiles.